Articles worth reading
Photo Courtesy of PNA

San Juan to mobilize police bike patrollers 

account_balanceSan Juan access_time4 days ago

San Juan City will launch the Philippine National Police (PNP)-San Juan Bike Patrollers to strictly implement the city’s ordinances on new normal, face shield, and anti-spitting. Mayor Francis Zamora will lead the event which will take place a...

Online scrabble tournament set in October 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

One of the country’s top young Scrabble players in cooperation with Mattel and the world’s top player are combining forces to stage a youth online Scrabble tournament this October. Learjet de la Cruz of the Cebu Scrabble Club, who saw ac...

Photo Courtesy of Malabon PIO

SC thums down mandatory free mass testing 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Supreme Court (SC) has dismissed a petition for mandamus seeking to compel the government to implement free mass testing for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in the country. In a four-page resolution dated September 1 and released on Wedn...

Metro Manila News

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año

Año expects cases to decrease under MECQ 

account_balanceMetro Manila chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año expressed confidence that the number of COVID-19 infections would decrease during the enforcement of the modified enhanced community quarantine in some areas, including Metro Manila.

At the sidelines of an event in Camp Crame, Año said he'd rather that the MECQ in Metro Manila, Rizal, Laguna, Cavite and Bulacan not be extended for the sake of the country's economy.

"Huwag naman sana [ma-extend] kasi gusto talaga natin ay makapagbukas pa rin tayo ng ekonomiya, balance between health and economy. Titingnan natin 'yung figures," Año said.

"Pero ako, I'm optimistic na with the 15 days MECQ, bababa 'yan. Ang kailangan lang ay sumunod, huwag na tayo maging pasaway," he added.

The MECQ in Metro Manila and the other areas will be from August 4 to 18.

On Thursday, chief implementer of the government's COVID-19 response Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. admitted that the 15-day enforcement of MECQ in these areas is not enough to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Galvez said the national government would check if there is a need to recalibrate the measures in fighting the pandemic.

Earlier, Malacañang said extending the duration of MECQ could have negative effects on the country's economy.

So far, the Philippines has 119,460 COVID-19 infections, making it the hotspot of the disease in Southeast Asia.

The virus has plunged the country into a technical recession.

date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Commuters waiting for the next bus reach the stairs of the Metro Rail Transit Line 3 North Avenue station in Quezon City on Monday (Sept. 14, 2020) / PNA

Commuters asked to travel during off-peak hours 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

A medical expert advised commuters to travel during off-peak hours for essential needs to avoid “crowded” public utility vehicles amid the relaxed physical distancing rules in mass transport. “If we travel smartly, then that’...

PBA to discuss bubble games this week

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) commissioner Willie Marcial will meet with selected players and the board of governors separately this week to discuss the planned "bubble". The professional basketball league is eyeing a bubble just...

Over 800 private schools closed this school year

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

The Department of Education (DepEd) reported that more than 800 private schools will not operate for the school year 2020 to 2021 and more than 4,000 teachers and roughly 60,000 students will be affected. “The pure Elementary is about 674, pur...

Valenzuela receives DOH approval to operate COVID-19 lab 

account_balanceValenzuela chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

Valenzuela City received a green light from the Department of Health (DOH) to operate its own coronavirus disease (COVID-19) laboratory that will increase the number of samples it can conduct daily. Mayor Rex Gatchalian on Tuesday said the city&rsqu...

Screen grabbed from Mayor Francis Zamoras Facebook Page

San Juan, USAID sign deal to expand drug rehab 

account_balanceSan Juan chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

Recovery to drug addiction is possible and drug users could regain their normal lives, San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora said on Tuesday, as the city government signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the United States Agency for International D...

Taguig expands lockdown to 4 more areas

account_balanceTaguig chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

Taguig City has expanded a localized quarantine to cover four more areas. An advisory from the Taguig Safe City Task Force said areas affected by the expanded localized community quarantine (LCQ), in effect from 6 p.m., 18 September, until 30 Septem...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Muntinlupa extends P1-million loan to cooperative Gov't to close all cemeteries nationwide during Undas DOH guidelines lead to 'low' fatality rate Crimes decrease 47% in 6 months Customs studies donating seized gadgets to students LTO releases new motorcycle plates Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature